PAROCHIAL CHURCH OF ST. JOSEPH
In 1948 the parish church of St Joseph was built in the centre of the town. It is situated in a large square easily accessible. In the south-western part of the square there is a large bell-tower. During summer various concerts and plays are presented on the square.
ST VINCENT CHURCH
This chapel was built by family Izmaeli in 1589, on their land near the fortress Izmaeli. It received its name from St Vincenco Ferer a Dominican from Valencia in Spain, who lived from 1350 to 1419.
ST. JOHN THE BAPTIST CHURCH ON GRADINA
At the tip of the peninsula st Ivan (Gradina Bay), we find the chapel and bell-tower of St John. It is mentioned in documents from the 15th century. It is presumed that a Benedictine monastery and church were previously to be found at this location.
OUR LADY OF THE PLAGUE CHURCH ON BAD
This church was built in 1886 after the plague epidemic ravaged Korčula island in 19th century. It is situated near the sea. Above the main altar is altarpiece The Presentation of the Virgin, paind in 1888 by the Roman artist Francesco Monacceli. There is many legend connected with this church.
OUR LADY OF THE IMMACULATE CONCEPTION CHURCH
This chapel is situated in the Bay of Kale, not far from the shoreline. It was built by family Tabain in 1885, and their heirs still take care of this chapel. Here we can find a valuable painting of the dominical artist Vinko Dragonje called «Immaculate Conception».
ST. COSMOS AND ST. DAMIAN CHURCH
A few kilometres from Vela Luka, on the road to Blato, in the area called Zablaće we find this church. It was built in the first half of the 11th century on the foundations of a Christian chapel of the 6th century! This is the oldest church in this area and the only architectural example showing Romanesque elements on the island of Korčula.
Extract: “Churches and chapels in the borough of Vela Luka” by Rada Dragojevic Cosovic